Old March 9th 20, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Shaun Wheeler

Default Trouble in Paradise (Omarama)

On Friday, March 6, 2020 at 9:04:00 AM UTC-6, Duster wrote:
Notice from Gavin Wills: "Please note that all Glide Omarama services will be suspended from 15 April 2020.

After 20 years of flying from the Omarama Airfield without a Trial Flight incident the Civil Aviation Authority of NZ requires GlideOmarama to re-certify its operations from being a Recreational Aviation Organisation under the CA Rules Part 149, to an Organisation Conducting Adventure Aviation Part 115, and to re-license its pilot/instructors accordingly.

This certification process, consisting of negotiations, applications and approvals, is expected to take several months to complete.

Glide Omarama therefore has decided to suspend its operations from 15 April 2020, until the procedure is complete.

However, in anticipation of successful outcomes, the company is happy to receive bookings for the Soaring School and Trial Flights scheduled from 1 September 2020 onward.

Bookings scheduled for dates up to and including April 14 2020 will be honoured. Bookings scheduled between April 15 and August 31 will be refunded or rescheduled as directed by the client.

Glide Omarama regrets any inconvenience this suspension may cause to Club members, glider pilots and visitors. Throughout the period of self-suspension our office, phones, web site and email will remain live.

Thank you all for understanding and for your support to the Glide Omarama team at this difficult time.

Gavin Wills
Glide Omarama
7 March 2020"

When I began flying forty-five years ago I did not expect it to come without risks. I've flown with night vision googles looking up at canyon walls on both sides and landed in the middle of a clearing with trees on all sides. Some of the people I flew with died flying including one of my former instructors, a pilot and crewmember in my platoon and three more in an incident involving mast bumping that government refuses to accept was, in fact, mast bumping.

You should hold government accountable to prove an actual benefit and a compelling need to protect society at large or you will lose individual freedoms until you have none.