Old March 9th 20, 04:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Duster[_2_]

Default Trouble in Paradise (Omarama)

All the best to you and your colleagues, Phil. Most of us are in this sport as an elective hobby, but there are many people who's livelihood is at stake....about 2 dozen people at OG not to mention the local economic loss to such a small town. Here is some updated information from the Omarama Gazette:

"Glide Omarama is to cease operations from today (Monday, March 9, 2020.) with the loss of 21 jobs. On Friday, the company announced it would suspend operations from April 14 while it sorted out its re-certification. It anticipated a successful outcome and said it would open for bookings from September. “This certification process, consisting of negotiations, applications and approvals, is expected to take several months to complete. “After 20 years of flying from the Omarama Airfield without a Trial Flight incident the Civil Aviation Authority of NZ requires Glide Omarama to re-certify its operations from being a Recreational Aviation Organisation under the CA Rules Part 149, to an Organisation Conducting Adventure Aviation Part 115, and to re-license its pilot/instructors accordingly," the statement said. However, this morning [Monday] it announced the company would cease operation altogether from today. “Unfortunately, we at Glide Omarama have experienced unexpected re-licensing issues with the Civil Aviation Authority and have decided to cease all operations from 09 March 2020 for the foreseeable future. "It is unlikely we will be reopening.” In an interview Mr Wills said staff were told this morning ahead of the announcement. "It's heart-breaking. “It’s been a wonderful experience, the last 22 years. “I’m very proud of what we have built up. We are all devastated.” Support for the family-run business was coming in from around the world, he said. There had not been a single trial flight accident in 22 years of operation. The company operated under the certification of Gliding New Zealand and Gliding New Zealand had never had a fatality. “The reason we have to close down is the CAA claim we are breaking the law, as it is, by undertaking these trial flights. We argue we are not, but we’re not prepared to go to court to prove it.. “We asked to be allowed to continue until the end of the season, another five weeks, to be in a better financial position [to deal with it] but they are unwilling to allow that to happen. “There is no safety case to suggest we should be shut.” Mr Wills said all Glide Omarama’s systems and procedures “either meet or exceed requirements". “As an example they require pilots to have a minimum of 200 hours flying time, our guys have an average of 3800 hours,” he said. “My understanding is that Glide Omarama provides about 80% of the airfield income, so it will have a devastating effect. “It will affect The Pink Glider, and other businesses in Omarama. “Many gliding clients stay a week or more at a time. Staff rent in town or have bought. “It will have a big effect on the town and district,” Mr Wills said discussions with CAA had been “ongoing since 2002”.. The problem was the level of compliance it required was “burdensome in cost and in ongoing applications”. “We’re financially unable to do it. “There’s no other country in the world that certificates gliding in this manner, no one.” Mr Wills said the council-controlled Omarama Airfield Company were aware of the situation. In an email, Airfield Company chairperson Clive Geddes said Glide Omarama had, over the past twenty years, been a “significant contributor to the development of gliding in Omarama and New Zealand and to the improvement of the Omarama Airfield”. “The company started the Youth Glide movement and has continued to support it through the provision of plant and equipment and subsidies for its members to participate in competitions. “The airfield company appreciates the contribution Glide Omarama has made and regrets its closure but we fully understand the underlying reasons for that decision.
“We wish the owners and staff all the very best for the future. “The airfield company is in a sound financial position and will now be working with interested parties to ensure that services to the gliding community are available in the year to come,” Mr Geddes said. The Omarama Gazette attempted to get comment from the Civil Aviation Authority, but calls were not returned by end of business today – Monday, March 9, 2020. Mr Wills said clients could expect a full refund of any pre-paid flights and should contact the company to make those arrangements.
Copy and photos: Ruth Grundy, Omarama Gazette
Copyright © 2015 to 2020 Omarama Gazette, All rights reserved.