Old March 23rd 20, 05:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default Soaring already DOA for the season???

Matt Herron Jr. wrote on 3/23/2020 9:34 AM:
On Sunday, March 22, 2020 at 5:42:56 PM UTC-7, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
Airsailing in NV has closed down, and now Willliams in CA is closed. will contests be cancelled next? Does SSA have a position on this? Are there things we can do to mitigate exposure so we can fly? Inquiring pilots want to know...

As a group, we are for the most part, experts at coming up with procedures and checklists that improve safety. Perhaps we can put methods in place for assembly, launch, retrieval, etc. that reduce the chances of spreading the virus, even after restrictions may be lifted.

For example, hold the wing a little farther from the tip when handing it off to an assistant during assembly. Don't approach someone's cockpit (occupied, or not) without verbal OK. keep the cockpit window shut as you are hooked up for launch. gloves for ground crews? Pay your tow bill by mail rather than in the office.

I am sure this talented group can come up with lots of practical ideas to protect ourselves. As a group we tend to skew older and male, both higher risk groups for Covid-19 infection. Perhaps we can still enjoy what we do without adding any more risk to the sport.

"Honey, the nation calls us to action in these perilous times. It is our duty to
get a motorglider to achieve the social distancing that is required from all of us."

Later...

"Honey, just an FYI: I got us a motorhome so we can shelter-in-place at the
gliderport, where I will keep our new motorglider."