Old March 24th 20, 06:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Curt Lewis - 95

Default The Decline of Soaring Awards

Just to jump in with SGS 1-26 comments..
There may be some reluctant to consider the 1-26 as a "cross-country machine" for being more difficult to achieve what they may consider "cross-country distance". Remember that the performance handicap on the 1-26 is 1.65 ..... therefore a 30 mile flight (even close-in triangle) in a 1-26 is a comparable accomplishment to a 50 mile flight in an older standard class glider. That's pretty respectable for a beginner!

So be be proud of those shorter 1-26 XC flights. I own/race a Genesis and a 1-26. Some of my most rewarding flights have been in the 1-26.

Always remember that one of the benefits of XC in the 1-26 is that your probably going to land out closer to home

Curt Lewis
ASEL-CFIG
Genesis 2
1-26B