Old March 24th 20, 08:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Daniel Sazhin[_2_]

Default Are You Ashamed to Land Out?

Hey Dan,

My post was poorly written before; I didn't land out last weekend in the 2-33. I flew to an airport 9 miles away and then flew back. The kid I flew with did 90 percent of the flying.

https://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-3....l?dsId=7708206

We could've done more if I wasn't shivering uncontrollably in the back-seat.. 6000ft in March is chilly!

The 2-33 was landed out in February by another club member.

But on the subject of the thread, landouts are wonderful. So long as they are conducted responsibly and you make a safe approach and landing, they are a great adventure. I'd prefer not to land out in competitions, because they are costly in points... But otherwise, or given, a landing in a field is a great way to end the day. You know you've gotten everything out of the glider, yourself, and the conditions when you end the day in a field. And the experience of opening your eyes in an unfamiliar place after you've landed.... it's like being an alien arriving on Planet Earth. Seeing the places, meeting the people, is fantastic.

Several times I have walked to a nearby bar, restaurant or cafe while waiting for a crew. The act of sitting down in the corner is just surreal. You are on the ground, sure, but you have a completely different perspective. A part of your mind is still flying, and you are completely taking in the experience of living.

Landouts are a great experience. Far from ashamed, I look forward to the next one!

All the best,
Daniel