Old March 24th 20, 09:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Are You Ashamed to Land Out?

Land outs are adventures in themselves!Â* I've landed out in numerous
plowed fields, a residential airpark, and a couple of airports. It's fun
to have a crew come and help with loading the glider on a trailer and
then enjoying a beer and dinner at some unexpected place.Â* I've also
been on many retrieves and had someone else provide the beer and food!

On 3/24/2020 1:28 PM, wrote:
Read the article regarding the diminishment of guys pursuing badges and a commonly held misconception that it takes greater than 30/1 to do xc, another thought came to mind. Namely, is there a stigma attached to landing out within the modern soaring community? Could this be a reason why guys are not overly enthusiastic about xc flight unless they own or have access to a high performance machine?

I think most of you regulars on here know my thoughts on the matter but I am interested in what you guys think.
Dan

--
Dan, 5J