Old March 25th 20, 04:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Are You Ashamed to Land Out?

An important feature of landing out has not been mentioned and the training discussed has not covered it.

The altimeter should be covered during any practice land out. In a lot of places it is worthless and can only give you wrong information. The pilot should understand when they can trust it and when not.

On my first landouts I also noted that after selecting the landing spot and starting whatever pattern (normal is best), I tended to want to hug the field and fly downwind or base way too close and end up long.

Bruce Patton