Old March 25th 20, 06:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Are You Ashamed to Land Out?

Thanks for all the responses guys. While in agreement with most all that has been said, I have a slightly different take on the issue of landing out.

First off let me say that I don’t consider landing at a developed airport “landing out”. Thats just parking her at another confirmed safe place. For me, landing out is having to put her down in a field, unused undeveloped airstrip or dirt road ect.

With that being said I operate under a philosophy which when simplified is this: iOccasional out landing is essential to develop and measure my soaring skills. If I do not find myself missing my goal occasionaly, I am not really stretching and placing myself in situations where I test my skills. Now I am not talking about stretching into unlamdable terrain in the “hope” that my skills will save me. I am talking about pushing early in the day, or late in the day when conditions are weak or weakening and stretching for that extra 5 miles or flying faster than normal on a strong day, working the lift band in a more compressed selection. Or stretching to test a hunch regarding the condx in that apparent blue hole. Either of the three examples can lead to having to make a save and a higher potential for landing out.

I have found that my soaring skills do not advance and actually diminish when I find myself just cruising sedately along that well established street, doing that old routine home field triangle or out n return. But the times I have deliberately pushed or explored are the times I have learned lessons and advanced my abilities.
Dan