Old March 28th 20, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Much Ado About Nothing

"I never noticed a difference either on take off or tow."

I don't agree, CG is more pleasing to fly on tow. Since there is little torque on the glider from the cable, a CG hook provides more options for holding position.

The CG hook is also quite stable (as in stick won't help) in a nose high, cable low, elevator stalled configuration. Which is fine unless you happen to be tied a tow plane also with a stalled elevator at the time. This is extremely unlikely to happen if the glider pilot understands the possibility and proactively doesn't go there. Sadly, we sometimes don't include this possibility in training and so it does happen.

Game on