Old March 28th 20, 05:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default Much Ado About Nothing

wrote on 3/28/2020 9:16 AM:
"I never noticed a difference either on take off or tow."

I don't agree, CG is more pleasing to fly on tow. Since there is little torque on the glider from the cable, a CG hook provides more options for holding position.

The CG hook is also quite stable (as in stick won't help) in a nose high, cable low, elevator stalled configuration. Which is fine unless you happen to be tied a tow plane also with a stalled elevator at the time. This is extremely unlikely to happen if the glider pilot understands the possibility and proactively doesn't go there. Sadly, we sometimes don't include this possibility in training and so it does happen.

Game on

I've owned three gliders with CG hooks, and three with nose hooks. The nose hooks
went straighter on the take off roll, ESPECIALLY during an unassisted launch. All
were easier to manage in the air, requiring less attention, particularly in
turbulent conditions. The only position I cared about holding was behind the towplane.

My ASW20C came with a CG hook; years later, I had a "forward" hook added (about 2'
from the nose). The difference was significant, and I was glad I spent the money.
Most of my launches were unassisted, and I was pleased I could handle crosswinds
better.