Old March 29th 20, 03:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

Default Much Ado About Nothing

At 00:11 29 March 2020, Roy B. wrote:
I think Mike/RO has it right. The difference between CG and nose

hooks is
m=
ostly felt on the ground at the beginning of the roll. If a wing goes

down
=
and the tail is not planted down hard, with a CG hook watch out. In

the
air=
there is not much difference. I've flown lots of gliders with both style
h=
ooks (and used both on aerotow), and never noticed much difference

once I
g=
ot in the air.
ROY=20

And to the folks who say that they haven't noticed a difference, I
will bet they haven't tried taking off with full water ballast and a 10-
15 Kt crosswind at a high density altitude SW USA desert location
in a C/G hook / tail skid equipped glider... Been there, done that,
got the T-shirt, and don't care to reinvent the wheel. I, for one
have learned from history. Some of the younger folks haven't
been around long enough to have seen it for themselves.

RO