Old May 6th 10, 03:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5Z

Default Hydraulic ramp jack

I've routinely used the hydraulic jack to align the wing pins on my
ASH-26E. And to keep the wings at a comfortable height, that means
it's operating near the bottom of its range. Really nice during
disassembly to have one hand on the jack and the other on a main pin,
then slowly lower the fuselage until the pin starts to rotate.

I did disassemble the jack assembly recently to replace an O ring in
the jack. The base plate was warped due to the horizontal force being
applied to lift the glider from a completely lowered jack.
Straightened it out in a hydraulic press, and might try to reinforce
it next winter, but it will likely last another 5-10 years if I do
nothing.

-Tom

On May 5, 11:09*am, Darryl Ramm wrote:
And for those Cobra trailers with hydraulic jacked ramps and heavy
motorgliders, I'd rather trust the hand cranked gears in my one-man
rigger or the person holding my wingtip than trust the hydraulic jack
with the weight of my motorglider while tweaking the jack height. I
slide in a triangular wooden block as a safety device under the ramp
scissors. If the jack fully collapses, *I don't think the jack has the
leverage to jack up mu ASH-26E again.