Old May 11th 04, 05:09 PM

Paul Tomblin wrote:

I'm trying to improve my database generators for CoPilot and other
programs (see http://navaid.com/ and http://xcski.com/~ptomblin/CoPilot/
for details). The problem I'm trying to deal with is that the FAA is
totally inconsistent on how they name waypoints, DAFIF isn't any better,
and there are literally thousands of them. And because of that, I am
having real problems giving people a way to select just the types of
waypoints they want. I look through my databases and find instances of
what I would consider en-route waypoints labelled "WAYPOINT", "REP-PT",
even "RNAV-WP". One guy suggested that I just give the option of only
selecting waypoints if they are 5 alphabetic characters, with no numbers.
The problem I have with that is that I still end up with a lot of IAP
waypoints, including GPS ones, which bloats the database.

In NACO's DAI CD-ROM those fixes are segregated by:

DPs, IAPs, STARs, en route low, and en route high.

Seems using the en route low file would solve your problem.