Old October 7th 18, 05:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sierra Whiskey

Default Shooting down UAVs

Not all UAV's, UAS, or "Drones" are bad or even dangerous. It just depends on the application and execution. There are many safety measures that go into launching one of these experimental programs, but as with any experiment there is the inherent risk of failure from which we must learn. (More specific to Government and Commercial Programs as opposed to Private Use UAS)

http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/keynotes/ke...e_success.html

Certainly the technology is no where near replacing humans in the cockpit, however humans are subject to their own degree of threats and errors. There are certain places where the technology can be useful and resistance to the technology only impedes the ability to broaden our understanding of the environment in which we live and operate.