Old June 9th 13, 09:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default Improved shear/stall-spin alarms

Bill D wrote, On 6/9/2013 9:04 AM:
On Sunday, June 9, 2013 9:19:11 AM UTC-6, Dan Marotta wrote:
Technology is a wonderful thing and, given the time and money, we
engineers can develop anything you desire.

BUT... Would another bell or whistle really improve safety over
simply learning to fly correctly? Have we become so insulated from
our surroundings that we can't recognize a burble in the controls,a
slacking of pressure, a reduction in air noise?

___________________

Some form of AoA sensing/stall warning is installed on every aircraft
made - except rotorcraft and gliders. The sling-wing guys have an
excuse, we don't. I think our terrible safety record speaks
volumes.

Clearly, pilots don't universally recognize impending stall/spins.
We've been trying to get them to do so for the entire history of
flight without much success. It time for another solution now that
we have the technology.

Has anyone tried any of various AOA instruments on the market? There are
several under $1000.

email me)
- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm
http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl