Old March 29th 17, 09:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Default FAI Sailplane Grand Prix USA 🇺🇸 Orlando

On Wednesday, March 29, 2017 at 12:52:25 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Sorry, Peter. Even there it is not "real time", so you can't see who is actually out front. Select someone's trace, hover over another and see where the other trace's barogram ends relative to the one you selected. Sometimes you can determine who you "think" is in the lead. Much better than actually working... :-)

It's definitely better than nothing, but with update intervals in the 5-15 minute range, it really isn't all that useful. Hard to get excited about it when you really don't know who is leading and how far behind the others are. It's one thing to be watching delayed real time data and completely another to be watching data that has has large (5-15 minutes) gaps in it.

I think the Benalla WGC coverage set the bar pretty high in this regard.

They are doing a great job with video's and interviews, etc.

As far as I know this is the best "live coverage" of any US competition to date. Congratulations on that!
Most competitions use LiveTrack24 for tracking, which views nicely in 3D. The Benalla WGC was by no means the first to do that.
Jim