Old November 9th 16, 01:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Flarm Net

Thanks Craig,

I've got it all working. The PF portable is on top of the glare shield
and my Streak running XCSoar is on a stalk below the EFIS. The Streak
displays Flarm targets on the moving map as well as a Flarm radar
display which also displays FlarmNet ID. As soon as I get comfortable
with the Flarm stuff on the Streak, I'll move the portable to the right
side so my wife will have a display as well. Two sets of eyes are always
better than one.

Dan

On 11/8/2016 3:25 PM, Craig Funston wrote:
On Monday, November 7, 2016 at 9:03:34 AM UTC-8, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Sunday, November 6, 2016 at 8:22:56 PM UTC-5, Eric Greenwell wrote:
So you know that Flarmnet doesn't work on the portable?

Portable PowerFLARM displays *NO* identification info for targets.
Neither does PowerFLARM Core use FLARMnet.
FLARMnet info is used by display devices to map FLARM ID into other identification info.

FLARM provides BFN/BFW support for update of downstream Butterfly products.
For example, I can update the software and/or FLARMnet info in my
Butterfly displays by placing these files on a USB stick, plugging
into Core, and then powering on whilst holding down button on Butterfly.

Dan,

It took me a long time to realize that the PowerFLARM Core and the Butterfly Display are two SEPARATE computers that happen to talk to each other. The Butterfly display is the computer that takes the FLARMnet data and attaches it to the signals the Core sends to it. I kept trying to think of the display as a dumb screen for the core & that got in the way of understanding how to deal with them.

Dave's stated pretty categorically that the Portable doesn't attach FLARMnet data and if anyone would know, it's Dave. That seem logical since it's missing the additional processing provided by a butterfly display (computer).

Glad to hear you've joined the FLARM tribe.

Cheers,
Craig

--
Dan, 5J