Old March 29th 07, 04:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

Default Another who pays question

Since when is operating the radar on the ground with people around part of a
pre-flight check list? It certainly isn't in my POH.

Don't you think the installer should have at least checked the operation
prior to releasing the plane?

The problem with avionics shops is that they seem to use installers
who couldn't cut it at Best Buy installing car stereos. I've watched
'em work on my plane (three different shops, in three different
states) and in every instance the guy who was doing the actual work,
hanging upside down from the seats, was a real mouth-breather who may
have been a good bench-tech, but appeared to have little experience or
common sense.

I always assumed that I got those guys working on my plane because I
fly a lowly Cherokee -- "Hey, let's let Bob learn the ropes on that
guy's plane!" -- but maybe it's universal?

Of course, at some shops a Baron would be considered "entry level" --
so it's all relative.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA