Old May 31st 18, 07:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
V1[_4_]

Default 1202 Transponder Squawk Code - In a Tow Plane?

Back in 2012, I coordinated an agreement with the FAA for the Houston area for tow planes to squawk 1202. It was a LONG process, took about 6 - 9 months if I remember correctly. Besides agreeing the policy (more complicated than we anticipated), they needed time to roll it out internally (i.e., to train) all their staff, which meant waiting for their normal training cycles.. A link for a copy of our policy is below. Bottom line – it was a good thing to do, but it does require upfront effort.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...7eNfgGGbI/edit

- Frank Allen