Old September 27th 17, 01:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Glider near miss with Airliner (emergency climb) near Chicago yesterday?

With that childish attitude you are a complete liability to the entire soaring community, not just from a safety viewpoint, but from the damage you will do the the impression of our sport. I sure hope the rest of the pilots who fly out of Post Mills Soaring Club have a much more responsible attitude about safety than you do. If not well, oh well thanks to your posts here, everybody, including the FAA, now knows what they might possibly be facing there. Lets hope it is nothing as bad as your attitude implies it might be.

Amen, thermaling in an airway without providing ATC a clue is not nice, regardless of who was there first. The attitude reflects poorly on our community and invites oversight (see 91.13).

That said, the FAA is making it less likely the clue will be provided with the ADSB program. I have mode C + Flarm now. To move to ADSB 2020 will cost $4k. (1800 for the transponder + $1800 for the GPS + install)

The cost give me pause especially because the 2x cost premium for the certified GPS appears to net a system which emits state vectors which are less accurate than the Flarm. This issue could be greatly improved if ATC were to use ADSB emissions with COTS GPS and increased uncertainty spheres. We already routinely depend on the Flarm Brick GPS for close encounters. It would be neat if FAA could approve at least that specific receiver.