Old September 28th 17, 12:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Glider near miss with Airliner (emergency climb) near Chicago yesterday?

On Tuesday, September 26, 2017 at 12:30:16 PM UTC-4, Sean Fidler wrote:
I just listened to this news on a major news network and pseudo confirmed it he http://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1374687

The newsperson actually said, "Why didn't this glider have a transponder, why wasn't this glider talking to someone, how is this possible…" live on the air.

I continue to believe that the sailplane community needs to fully adopt ADSB and transponders whenever outside of 3 miles of the airport (for basic training). Getting an exemption was a big mistake. Sailplane flying cross country, near major airspace, or at high altitudes should absolutely have ADSB and/or 250 watt transponders.

The awful scenario we are all worried about IS going to happen eventually.. Its simply a matter of: A) was the gliding community pro safety or B) was the gliding community defiant and trying to wiggle out of safety and make special exceptions for itself.

When IT happens, the result will be unfortunate if we are still on the B path, as we are now…

Pere,

That is an excellent analogy and I could not agree more. Unfortunately, the political weight of any discussion these days will have the clout of the safety of passengers as having foremost weight in the discussion of what ensues after a collision with an airliner carrying passengers. The days of open cockpit daredevil biplanes flown in the yesteryears of aviation history are long gone in terms of requirements for safety. It is incumbent on glider pilots to show concern in real action, that is, outfitting gliders soaring cross country to outfit their gliders with electronic means of warnings and alerts. Does that mean even a 2-33 flying patterns at a local airport for training purposes need install a transponder? No, but others who go cross country should. The least costly way I know of alerting others is purchasing a transponder, about the same price as a radio. I always turn my on when flying. It may be my right to fly without it, but that wont mitigate the disaster of hundreds of lives lost if there was a collision.