Old November 10th 05, 04:00 PM
Peter R.

Default IFR with a VFR GPS

Jose wrote:

What was the cause of that crash? Was the VFR GPS giving erronious
information? Was it hard to use, not being attached to the plane? Was
the pilot unfamiliar with the device? Was the approach even in the
database?

Well, the official, sterile probable cause reads:

"The failure of the pilot to follow the published instrument approach
procedure, which resulted in an early descent into an antenna tower. A
factor was the low ceiling"

Of course, all of those factors you mentioned certainly are possible, too,
but not provable. A clue to these other factors leading to this accident
was that the aircraft was one mile to the right of course at the IAF.

I recall reading an accident analysis article of this crash (I forgot which
of my monthly periodicals it was in) a few months ago that went into more
detail about the pilot flying an IFR approach with a VFR GPS.

--
Peter