Old November 10th 05, 09:46 PM

Default IFR with a VFR GPS

Mark T. Dame wrote:

Now, if we're talking about precision GPS approaches, that's a different
story. But enroute navigation (and possibly even non-precision GPS
approaches) should be just as safe with a handheld as a panel mount.

You will usually have as good of accuracy with a hand-held (with an
external antenna, but you lack the interity because you don't have
approach RAIM.

Would this ever matter?

It depends upon the volume of operations. For you personally, the
RAIM-hole day may never occur when you're using your hand-held for an
RNAV IAP.

Since there aren't any precision RNAV IAPs, other than LPV (which
requires WAAAS) I fail to see your distinction between precision and
non-precision.