Old January 7th 16, 04:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Which sustainer system would you chose for your sailplane?

A few years back I asked FES about shipping a kit to the US to be
installed locally in my LAK-17a. The response I got was that, to
maintain quality, they would not provide kits. They would, however,
travel to the US at my expense and perform the installation for me. The
cost at the time was $28,000 and, if I could find 4 other gliders, they
would offer me a discount.

I haven't compared that price to the price difference on a new glider
with and without a FES but I would guess that it was in line with buying
a new glider. Travel, shipping, and lodging costs are considerable for
the duration of the installation.

On 1/6/2016 2:33 PM, wrote:
Pegase are basically the same fuselage as a ASW20 - just French - and 20's are on their list.

I did ask, but there is no one in the US doing the retro fit - I was hoping to look at FES more at the convention. I would even consider buying a ASW20 or ASW27 in Europe and shipping it back - but I do not know the process.

If it were available as a retro fit I bet there would be a long line. For people like myself that want to do XC and want to do some contests, I believe FES is a game changer. (I know the romance about landing out.....) The increased drag/weight may keep me off a podium, but that is not my total interest as my skill level.

WH1

--
Dan, 5J