Old February 28th 20, 06:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default A couple SSA 2020 convention presentations online...

All of what Dave said is true, unless you wear a ram-air rectangular
emergency chute.Â* For me training at the sky diving club was a great
improvement over my Air Force training since that was geared to round
chutes and I now have a much more maneuverable square chute.

Dave, what do you mean by "push, not pull" on chute deployment? Assuming
you're talking about rip cord use, I'd advise pull straight down with
both hands, not straight out.

Cheers

On 2/28/2020 11:04 AM, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Friday, February 28, 2020 at 12:26:31 PM UTC-5, Stephen Szikora wrote:
I’m seeing a lot of nonsense rationalization here. Any jump is better experience than no jump at all. If nothing else, you will learn to fly the canopy including judgung the flare on landing. Besides, anything you do in life is first practiced in “ideal” conditions (other than a first kiss!)

Nope, a lot of just-plain-nonsense period.

1) With an emergency chute there is no 'flare on landing'.
Most of these chutes pulling both toggles decreases the effective chute
diameter and increases your sink rate (as explained to me by the chute designer).
DO NOT TRY TO FLARE AN EMERGENCY CHUTE.

2) A practice jump will not be with an emergency round chute.
You will get some practice landing but it will be very different...

3) Ground school will include specifics of how to land,
practice landing jumping of a small platform, etc.
Not to mention the mechanics of chute deployment (ie push, not pull).

Please, go get the ground school.
If you want to take a jump, great, but most important is the ground school.

Hope that helps someone out there,
Best Regards, Dave

--
Dan, 5J