Old February 28th 20, 07:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default A couple SSA 2020 convention presentations online...

On Friday, February 28, 2020 at 1:33:53 PM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
All of what Dave said is true, unless you wear a ram-air rectangular
emergency chute.Â* For me training at the sky diving club was a great
improvement over my Air Force training since that was geared to round
chutes and I now have a much more maneuverable square chute.

Dave, what do you mean by "push, not pull" on chute deployment? Assuming
you're talking about rip cord use, I'd advise pull straight down with
both hands, not straight out.

Cheers

It has always been and still is called pulling, throwing for main parachutes, but a reserve pull is technically a push. Straight out is best combination of strength and splitting the difference of direction of cable housing. Cables are always from the top on sport gear varies on emergency rigs.
The few glider static lines I've seen clipped to the reserve handle, which isn't ideal but will work. A lot of pilot rigs cannot be reasonably modified to pull the pin from the back.