Old September 25th 03, 09:16 AM
Robert Ehrlich

Martin Gregorie wrote:

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 05:47:37 -0700, "cdubya"
wrote:

None !!!! Ok, maybe a little bit of drag from the intakes. I am thinking
of mounting it at the rear of a Bowlus Baby Albatross Pod. Seams to me this
glider is perfect for such a propulsion system since it was done already
with a prop on The Nelson BB-1. Other pod type designs also lend themselves
to bury this motor in the rear of the pod with little or no drag penalty.
Got any areonautical engineers out there in the Denver area that are
interested in helping?

That does sound neat. NACA ducts would add a nice touch with brass
rims to match the polished ply.

I was visualising a backpack with the pylon just long enough to avoid
cooking nearby plastic provided the fin is far enough away for normal
mixing to have cooled the exhaust to below harmful temperatures.

I think for a sustainer only, a nice place for a glider with a retractable
gear would be to have twin engines on both sides of the wheel. The retracting
mechanism is already there, but the space for the wheel and the weel doors
should probably be enlarged. And if no engine starts, the landing gear is already
extended for an emergency landing.