Old April 25th 06, 11:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Coax Q (was: Dittel radio Q)

In article .com,
"Mike" wrote:

Ken:
I have the proper crimp tool and straight connector. If you e-mail me
your address to , I'll send it along. Just
promise to return it.
Best regards
Mike

Hello Mike,

That is a very kind offer, and I appreciate it very much! However I've
also located a friend who lives nearby who has the tool, so I'll try him
first.

One thing I'm concerned about is making sure that I use the correct
connector. I examined the coaxial cable today, expecting to find some
labeling on the outer black insulating cover, like RG-58 or -59U; no
label was found anywhere on the yard of coax that I could examine.

The old connector came off easily, as it was held to the cable via a set
screw that apparently is supposed to penetrate the outer insulating
sheath to make an electrical connection between the connector shell and
the coax braid sheath. It appears that the center coax conductor
depends upon touching the center connector conductor; a weak design for
sure.

The only thing I know about the cable is that it IS coax and the outside
diameter is about 3.75mm. Since it's from Europe, is there anyone from
Europe who knows coax specs and what this cable is likely to be, so I
can get the correct connector? Or does it really matter for this
application?

Best regards,
Ken
San Jose, California