Old January 8th 18, 01:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Lubricant for spar pins

On Saturday, January 6, 2018 at 8:44:13 PM UTC-8, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Did a search of RAS and all the threads were quite old, so I thought I would ask what lubricant do you use when assembling your glider? I have noticed that the lube that comes with Schleicher gliders seems to have more friction and lube. Of course there is the old standby of white lithium, but any new ideas?

I have always used a molybdenum grease (aeroshell 33) for my main-pin. That is a grease intended for heavily-loaded pins in large aircraft. It's a grey grease, but it cleans up fine. I could only buy it in a fairly large tube, which has lasted me 15 years and the tube still has plenty left, even with me sharing the tube with a few friends. I also add a smear of super-lube grease to the main pin too. This practice has never caused me any problems. For other pins, I use superlube grease.