Old January 10th 18, 01:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Debunking the Shock Cooling Myth

On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 1:32:52 PM UTC-5, K m wrote:
To the OP, Initiating discussion on engine management is good, but as others have pointed out, the accompanying article is pretty much pointless.

So I was the "Original Poster", and fair enough on what you said. I didn't sign my name to it because I only posted the info, I did not originate either what seems to come from the SSA Clubs and Chapter group or the article author.

I did want to start a discussion, and glad I did - I've learned a lot and this is not an area of expertise at all for me, so I'm in listening mode.

I do notice that the article AND a lot of the posting by people defending their well honed procedures that there is very little scientific method here.
There appears to be a lot of correlation mixed up with causation. A lot of anecdotal stories and little statistical data based on controlled conditions.
This is understandable of course as it would take a large institutional type research budget to set up statistically significant control groups and study one factor at a time.

Someone lobby for NASA to do a study, otherwise we can go with crossing our fingers as we cut back the power and clutch tight on the rabbit's foot.

Chris