Old September 20th 05, 02:32 PM
Brad Zeigler

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am getting ready to start of Instrument training. I plan on training
during the day on the weekends and 1 or 2 nights during the week.

What are your thoughts on instrument training at night? Personally I
don't fly at night and have only for what was required for my PPSEL.
However my goal is to go on to my Commerical and CFI after the
Instrument.

I know I will have to get proficient at night flying to teach the
PPSEL, but not while IFR.

So, I guess my question comes down to added risk. How much additional
risk am I taking by doing some of my Instrument at night?

As an instrument instructor, I prefer teaching instruments at night. Here's
why:
1) It's more realistic to simulate instrument conditions in VMC at night.
2) Most airports seem to be less busy so busting into the pattern from a
practice approach is less problematic.
3) In my area, ATC tends to be less busy so controllers tend to be more
patient with my students
4) The air is smoother (although sometimes its *too* smooth)
5) the night environment forces good cockpit management habits. Fishing
around for a chart is harder at night when they all look alike in the dark.

There are challenges and risks though...
1) I tend not to do aggressive unusual attitudes or stalls at night. At
night a stall is an instrument manuever for both the student and the
instructor, especially on a dark night with no moon.
2) Some fields do not allow practice approachs later in the evening. My
local class C doesn't allow them after 10pm, presumably for noise abatement.
3) Airports services are less likely to be available...locked FBOs, no fuel
truck, empty vending machines, etc.
4) Greater potential for ground fog...must watch the temperature dewpoint
spread.
5) less options available for forced or precautionary landings. Highways and
parking lots become viable options.
6) night generally occurs at the end of the day, so stress and rest are
factors for both the student and the instructor. An IMSAFE audit is real
important.

I will fly in IMC at night in a single provided:
1) I am familiar with the aircraft. While engine failure can occur anytime
to any engine, the probability is much less on a well maintained aircraft.
2) We are over flat terrain. I will fly over mountains (east coast
mountains, that is) at night in VMC provided we have enough visibility,
altitude and options below us (i.e. valleys, highways, etc.)
3) We have a GPS with an independent electrical source. This is my rule for
day IMC as well.