Old August 18th 04, 03:30 PM
Dudley Henriques

"DaBear" wrote in message
"Peter Ashwood-Smith C-GZRO" wrote in
message om...
" An interesting fact, which is not obvious to many folks,
including

I don't recommend you do anything with the math except make a

big
'ahhhhhhh' sound and let it cause a sensible sense of dread in you
whenever you pull towards the ground.

By the way, a minimum radius pull is at a bit above the stall

speed
so if you pull to just before the buffet you are pretty close
regardless of airspeed.

Hopefully someone isn't flying the bottom of a loop near stall
speed. Isn't the minimum radius turn going to be accomplished at
corner velocity and max-G pull?

Yes, turn rate (or time in the pull) is also a factor and max turn rate
and min turn radius are maximized if married with max available radial g
at corner. You should actually throttle up if you're behind corner!!!!
But you should never be in this situation going through a topside gate.
The airspeed should be married to the known radial g profile for your
airplane or a roll exit initiated IMMEDIATELY!!
The trick with the gate apex is not to go through at a higher airspeed
than the radial g profile you are using for the airplane will allow
through the backside commit. If the airspeed is too high through the
gate, roll should be used to exit instead of pull.
In low altitude demonstration work, the time to do your math is on the
ground. All you need to know in the air are your commit numbers. You
have them at the top or you don't...period! If you are going through a
top gate and ANY of the numbers are off and you don't execute a roll
save, you are well on your way to becoming a statistic!
I've attended more than a few funerals in the fifty years I've been
associated with low altitude acro. It's a totally unforgiving
environment!
Dudley Henriques
International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
Commercial Pilot/ CFI Retired