Old June 23rd 09, 04:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Ash

Default Other questions about the Airbus planes

In article ,
wrote:

How good is composite when lightning strikes? Doesn't is explode or
something? I don't think it will conduct electricity, does it?

This one is a completely open question to me. No, they don't conduct
electricity as far as I know. In the one famous case of a glider getting
hit by lightning, the lightning traveled along metal control rods. The
rods superheated the air inside the wings, blowing the glider to bits.
Obviously this is not a desirable outcome for an airliner carrying 300
people and no parachutes. I can only assume that the smart engineers
working on this stuff have figured out a way to stop this from
happening, but I have no idea at all what that way would be.

Embedded conductive layers.

http://www.lightningtech.com/d~ta/faq1.html

Cool stuff. Thanks!

--