Old April 16th 06, 02:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Tanker pt2

It all depends on what is meant by "US content?" If the
small parts are all US manufacture and the major airframe
parts are all French, you can't fix the airplane after
battle damage without the sheet metal parts.
"James Robinson" wrote in message
. 97.142...
| "Jay Honeck" wrote:
|
| The KC 135 fleet was rebuilt and re-engined in the 1980
as
| the KC 135R with new fanjet engines. But they are all
old
| airplanes. But they were all made in the USA. I
wonder if
| Congress {John McCain] will consider the need to have
all
| the repair parts under US control, the way the French
are,
| they night just decide to shut the USA off from spares.
|
| Agreed. If the Air Force even considers buying a
foreign aircraft,
| we've clearly got the wrong leadership at the top.
|
| Although it can't hurt to make Boeing THINK we might buy
Airbus, just
| to keep the price honest... ;-)
|
| As I recall, when the earlier proposals were made for
tanker replacement,
| Airbus and their US partners had more US content than
Boeing did. It's
| almost like the "Japanese" cars now mostly made in US
assembly plants. It's