Old November 12th 05, 10:59 PM
Bret Ludwig

Default Chevy LS2 and Trans??? any real issues besides weight

Smitty Two wrote:
In article .com,
"MrV" wrote:

from the replies i've received the only thing i can see wrong with my
idea is 1 weight and 2 vibration everything else can be solved readily
with some planning. instead of posting something stupid like this why
not give reasons why i'm TOTALLY off base.

I think cooling was mentioned also. And, those pesky details are not
trivial. I believe you also stated that your objection to Lycon is cost.
The knowledgeable people here have pointed out that you will spend *far*
more engineering your own airplane and powerplant than you would by
buying off the shelf. I don't think they're referring to percentage, but
orders of magnitude.

This assumes every user of a non-LyCon engine has to engineer his own
conversion from a clean sheet of paper. If you are going to apply that
standard you should insist every LyCon using homebuilder make his own
crankcase and cylinder patterns, pour sand castings himself, and
machine them. Instead of buying a reduction drive, mounts and so forth
pre-designed from a reputable supplier and attach them to an engine
core with good history of results, using plumbing and systems as other
successful operators have. That's the common sense solution. Find
someone making a redrive and mounts for a reasonable price, reflecting
only a small percentage for engineering since it's hardly a Skunk Works
project and amortizing it over many units.

The _best_ solution to auto engine cooling and cost is to buy a "real
aircraft engine" that is "proven". What does a new PT6A series P&WC
engine cost? That's a real aircraft engine, a LyCon is an overgrown
Volkswagen. Unfortunately, for me a new Pilatus PC-9 is outside the
range of affordability. (A L-39 is a third or fourth the price, and
that's too expensive by far for most of us.)

The sport boating industry exists to a large extent because of
affordable marinized auto-derivative engines and sport flying can use
them as well if some good simple engineering and common sense are
applied. In fact, it has, since the days of Bernie Pietenpol and Steve
Wittman, who flew reasonably well on commodity general purpose engines.