Old September 9th 13, 08:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

Default UAV Hunting License Applications Mount

Dear Bug,

Given my mounting disillusionment with the mental capacity of my fellow man,
I'm inclined to agree that your fears are probably well founded.

That said, I must confess my observation of the powerful UAV industry lobbies'
attempts to force the FAA to integrate UAVs/UASs into the National Airspace
System despite their inability to comply with the see-and-avoid regulation
smacks of arrogant hubris indeed. This is just what the airline flying public
needs, a blind aerial hazard exempt from FAA regulations. :-(

The latest proposed immigration reform bill mandates the purchase of eighteen
MQ-9 Reaper drones at $20-million each, not to mention the cost of operating
them with multi-man crews, satellite communications links, ground support
trailers, ... It seems to me, that we could put a lot of airmen to work flying
boarder patrol for a lot less expense and less impact on safety.

Additionally, a Texas professor has publicly demonstrated recently how a drone
can be commandeered, and "piloted" by anyone with a small radio transmitter
capable of overriding weak satellite based GPS signals, and spoofing a bogus
location. Think terrorists who don't need to die for the cause...

In any event, drones are a big issue, that needs some light shed on it pronto,
IMNSHO.

Best regards,
Larry

On Mon, 09 Sep 2013 09:09:44 -0700, Bug Dout wrote:

One could treat this as a humorous hahaha story. But at $25 per license,
clearly people are taking it seriously and will want to exercise their
new right to shoot at things zooming through the air. I doubt too many
will take much care between a manned and un-manned airplane. Never-mind
what the town is doing violates Federal law, the yahoos who have already
sent in their money now feel they literally have a license to kill. The
FAA should put a TFR around this entire town.