Old February 17th 07, 10:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air
Jim Macklin

Default Epidemic of cracked windshields in KDEN, explanation unknown

How cold did it get in Denver? Aluminum and plastic have
different contraction rates with cold. Plastic also gets
brittle with cold. Wind flexes wing, which also flexes
fuselages, erg---cracks.

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message

ups.com...

http://us.cnn.com/2007/WEATHER/02/17....ap/index.html

| So what would cause windshields to crack on many
different types of
| aircraft
| at the same time? It wasn't impact or anything like
that. [..]

| I don't believe the "wasn't impact" part. I lived in
Denver for a
| while, and when the winds whip up, stones fly around.
|
| That brought to mind the skit in "Monty Python and the
Holy Grail" about
| things that will float in water, one of them being small
rocks.