Old May 9th 05, 07:52 PM
ShawnD2112

Well, I haven't been down to the museum since I graduated from Ohio State in
1990, but my fellow AFROTC cadets and I used to make an annual pilgrimage
down there.

Depends on what era you like, because it's all there. The WW2 section was
always my favorite because it had some pretty good dioramas set up around
the place and the selection of aircraft was superb. Back in the late 80s
they opened up the "new" hangar in which they put the B-52 on 5 foot wheel
stands so they could get the XB-70 and SR-71 in under it. That hangar, I
believe, was given over to the jet era mostly and had some pretty recent
stuff in it back then. Steve Ritchie's 5-kill F-4 was in there, for
instance. I think they've since opened up another hangar, but don't know
for sure.

I also liked to look at the spacesuit designs just for kicks, and the X-3
Stilletto is still one of the coolest looking designs, in my book.

You can spend days reading all the stuff on the walls as they really do try
to cover the whole of the USAF experience from day one to present. If
you've only got one day, you can do one of two things: 1. Sweep through the
whole thing to get a flavor of it all or 2. Focus on seeing a couple of
particular areas in detail. Either way, you'll have a great time and, even
if you miss seeing some things, most of what you see you probably won't have
seen before anyway.

Enjoy and let us know what you thought when you get back.

Shawn
"Jim Burns" wrote in message
I've always had the Wright Patterson Air Force Museum at Dayton, OH on my
list of places to fly. We'd probably fly into KDAY and grab a crew car if
available.

Can any members of the group that are familiar with the museum give me a
pirep? We'll only have one day to visit and would like to hit all the
highlights, skip any lowlights, and leave our kids with a yearning to
return.

Jim