Old November 27th 06, 07:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

Default Opinions on AOPA's Vref program please

Jim Carter wrote:
I'm starting to narrow down my target aircraft and just today started
looking at them through Vref at the same time. I'd like to read your
opinions of that pricing service - both good and bad - and any
suggestions you might have as to other pricing tools that worked for
you.

BTW, the target will probably be something along the lines of the Cessna
172 / Beech Sierra or Sundowner / Grumman AA5. I like the Pipers also,
but want two doors - I've spent lots of time in the Commander 112
series, but don't have the budget for them.

I haven't bought any airplanes for a couple years now (my wife is happy
about that). However, in my experience Vref was about 10-20% low.
Prices were higher. However, its also regional. I'm in California. If I
were willing to fly out to Florida there seemed to be a lot of good
deals. You also sometimes find good deals in the MidWest. Last plane I
bought was a Mooney and I went out to Arkansas for it. Prices were
about 20% higher in California. We pay 7% sales/use tax either way in
California so taxes makes no difference.

-Robert