Old March 22nd 04, 05:41 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"David Brooks" wrote in message

I learned something Friday night while getting in some night solo time. I
called Whidbey Approach for a few minutes of flight following and
possibly clipping their Class C, and the controller annonced radar
contact, and then issued a squawk. I hadn't given my position (I wasn't
too sure where I was anyway :-) ). He apparently didn't find it necessary
to talk to me after I popped up with the discrete code.

I was probably the only VFR target in his entire airspace, so there was
no ambiguity. Still, question for the controllers, is it standard

procedure
to announce radar contact to an untagged target?

No. He was guessing. It may have been a good guess, but that's not proper
radar identification.