Old March 20th 07, 11:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bert Willing

Default Growth in soaring

Now that is an entirely different reason, to which I agree. Once you are
able to offer a flat rate (like 1,000 Euros), it doesn't matter that much
what the gliders did cost (amortization is a relatively small part of the
hourly cost). It still matters what the launch costs, and the clubs in
France better switch to winches rather than operating those money-sucking
Moranes.
Now if a 17 or 18 year old doesn't want to earn a little money during
holidays to make gliding happen, then he is not that much motivated.
If he does make this effort, then the club should offer him something more
rewarding than pushing around gliders for the best part of the day. At my
time, I was ok with that, but the youngsters today have much more of a
choice for "thrilling activities" with immediate reward...

"Michel Talon" wrote in message

Now we agree, the prices are of the order i mentioned or higher, and
youngsters probably need to work during holidays to afford that. Then
they need to go to the gliderport (costs money, gazoline, etc.) and
spend all day long pushing gliders to fly perhaps 1 hour during the day.
Repeat that a fair number of days during the year. And you are surprised
they don't show in big numbers in the clubs?

--

Michel TALON