Old July 14th 07, 03:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dennis Johnson

Default Dirty oil, part II

wrote in message
ps.com...
The temp in the pan is true state of affairs in the engine.

While that might be true, I think the benefit of measuring oil temperature
as the oil enters the engine is that it enables the engine manufacturer to
provide meaningful oil temperature specifications. For my engine, TCM says
that the oil entering the engine (after passing through the oil cooler) can
be as hot as 240°F at full power and still be acceptable. TCM apparently
feels that so long as the oil entering the engine is no hotter than that,
then the engine will be fine so long as I'm using a recommended oil. For
takeoff, the oil entering the engine should be at least 100°F as it enters
the engine.

If we measured oil pan temperatures, the engine manufacturer would never
know what kind of oil cooler we had or how well the cooler was installed and
could not specify a maximum or minimum oil temperature because they wouldn't
know how efficient the oil cooler was.

Dennis