Old January 3rd 13, 07:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]

Default Use of 'Back up' camera with glider trailer

On Thursday, January 3, 2013 1:16:33 PM UTC-5, son_of_flubber wrote:
On Thursday, January 3, 2013 10:52:03 AM UTC-5, wrote:

You might consider a camera on your tow vehicle instead of the trailer. This would eliminate the need for yet another cable between the trailer and the tow vehicle, and would allow one camera to view the entire trailer and surroundings.

Putting the camera on the tow vehicle is easier, but the camera has to be mounted high enough above the top of trailer. Possibly on a roof rack.

I was wondering if anyone had experience putting the camera farther back and whether that provided a better point of view for lane changing. I find it difficult to judge where the end of the trailer is positioned relative to other traffic using side mirrors alone. A Volvo XC70 is otherwise a good tow vehicle, but I only see the front of the trailer in my center mounted rear view mirror.

You change lanes when the vehicle in the lane next to you is no closer than the vehicle immediately behind you. It's not hard.

T8