Old November 15th 03, 03:01 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Dan Luke wrote:

Doesn't matter. That money's spent anyway because hours on the engines
decrease the value of the airplane when you sell. You can't avoid
overhaul costs.

When I was researching things preparing to buy my first plane, I spent nearly a
year tracking prices in TAP. As nearly as I can tell from that, aircraft prices
are discounted only about half of what an "hour bank" should be. One that I
remember was a 150 with an engine well over TBO that hadn't been run in two
years. They asked (and got) $4,500 for the plane. An overhaul from a reputable
shop like Mattituck at the time ran about $12,000 installed. No way could you
have put a fresh engine in it and gotten $16,500 for that plane.

George Patterson
If you're not part of the solution, you can make a lot of money prolonging
the problem.