Old April 14th 20, 09:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default Best option for electric self starting glider

LOV2AV8 wrote on 4/14/2020 1:41 PM:
I'll describe the requirements I am trying to satisfy for me with my project. I suspect this is much like many but obviously not all.
1) The glider needs to be practical for one person to assemble in a reasonable period of time without heavy lifting. This means a ship that is not more than about 100 lb heavier than it's similar non powered counterpart.
2) Self launch capability with acceptable margins. I am using a takeoff distance of 900 feet, off pavement, and climb rate of at least 400 feet per minute. Ability to fly off unpaved surface knowing takeoff distance will increase.
3) Battery capacity for a 2000 foot launch and 2500 feet reserve to save and get home or to a safe airport.
4)System must have sufficient motor cooling to allow high power settings long enough to get to a safe altitude before power reduction.
5) Practical charging. In my project the battery can be removed for charging away from the glider.
6) Existing proven airframe.
This is my "Wednesday afternoon" ship for when I have no tow pilot.
FWIW
UH

In response to UH criteria above I would like to chime in with the AMS-Flight Carat meets all of the criteria except for being electric and how happy I am with my AMS-Flight Carat. Decent performance launching in the summers out of Moriarty, Parowan and Eli. This will be my 3rd season with her and still love it. Factory is still taking orders.

I've often wondered why the Carat was not more popular, as it seemed like good
compromise. What is the cost for a new one delivered to the US?