Old May 5th 07, 05:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill Daniels

Default Cell phones in gliders - tracking function

I've had pretty good luck in remote areas while airborne. Apparently, SMS
works when voice calls are not possible. But then, in Colorado, cell towers
are located on mountain peaks. As I understand it, if SMS service is not
avaliable, the 'phone will hold the message until it is and then send it.
The message gets through even if not in real-time.

The only way to know if tracking works is to try it.

Bill Daniels

"Tuno" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm a Verizon customer, and the only place I've been able to get my
phone to work in a glider above pattern altitude is in areas where SMS
does not work. Maybe that will change someday ...

-ted/2NO