Old November 17th 04, 04:01 PM
Willie

Eric Greewall wrote...
A moderate performance, moderately priced motorglider might be just
what it takes to get them into the sport!

So what is the closest we can get to this today, right now,
check-signing pen ready to write? Moderate performance, moderate
price, quality glider, or in other words affordable self-launching fun.

Fun is the key word here.

I own a self launch sailplane, in my case an Alisport Silent-IN
and am completely happy with it's performance. Mine cost less
than half as much as a Ventus Cm or a DG 808 and still I have
a great time in it.

I can stay up all day on a dollar fifty (tow). I know their performance is
higher, but I am not in competition with them. I fly sailplanes for fun.
My ship is comfortable, easy to rig with light wings, climbs well
and turns on a dime. I get the handling of a 1-26 with a 31:1 glide ratio.

I can and do fly it cross country. With shorter wings and a low stall speed
I am confident I could land in even the short fields that other big glass
would pass up.

This is the ideal type of ship for young or new pilots to build hours in,
learn cross country in and just enjoy for an afternoon of flying.

Willie
EK (echo kilo)