Old January 4th 20, 05:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Start flying with glider self launch certificate?

Many people use Stemmes as touring machines.Â* They're tail draggers but
are one of the most docile handling aircraft of any sort that I've flown
during ground operations.Â* The down sides are the huge turn radius (65
feet) and, of course, the price.

On the positive side, I've flown my Stemme from Moriarty, NM to Minden,
NV at 17,500' MSL achieving 140 kts ground speed each way (very low
winds at altitude), and burning about 3.2 gallons/hour of car gas.Â* AND
it's a two seater, side by side, with 50:1 glide ratio.Â* You can take a
friend or family member, AND it takes only a glider license with self
launch sign off.

It is NOT, however well suited to a new pilot due to its complexity.

On 1/4/2020 9:48 AM, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Saturday, January 4, 2020 at 11:36:57 AM UTC-5, James Stauffer wrote:
...It seems like a self launch glider certificate would be a great way to start
because of better stick and rudder skills, lower age requirements (for my son),
cheaper operating costs, glider hours apply toward power aircraft requirements,
etc...

Nose-dragger touring self-launchers, maybe.
Touring tail-draggers tend to be more difficult tail-draggers.
Pylon machines should not be considered.

Hope that helps,
Best Regards, Dave

--
Dan, 5J