Old February 13th 20, 12:17 PM
Delta8 Delta8 is offline
Member

Location: Pa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2G View Post
On Wednesday, February 12, 2020 at 8:24:05 AM UTC-8, Tango Eight wrote:
On Tuesday, February 11, 2020 at 11:46:52 PM UTC-5, 2G wrote:

You can't hardly blame the glider pilot: they were flying straight ahead and were struck from behind. The tow pilot is clearly the one at fault.

Tom

There's one thing we know for sure about accident reports: they aren't 100% accurate. I think we ought to hesitate to convict someone we've never met based on evidence that can't be verified.

The report had the tracks of the two aircraft.

Tom
Looking at the ground track the tow pilot turned right after release and the glider continued straight I understand the tow pilot didn't feel the release ? But the instructor should have had the student turn right , was this customary practice at this field?

When I fly I'm assuming the tow pilot will turn/dive left and head for downwind pattern entry. 99% of the time this has been the case for me but I always try to maintain visual . One day the 1% occurrence happened when I released and turned right into severe sink and the tow pilot ended up in 1000' per minute lift . After a quick trip down I asked him why he climbed rather than dove his comment was "No matter what direction he turned he was going up".

Unknown weather a factor in this accident ?

Last edited by Delta8 : February 13th 20 at 12:46 PM.