Old September 3rd 03, 06:19 AM
ArtKramr

Subject: More long-range Spitfires and daylight Bomber Command raids,
From: Guy Alcala

We never flew "sorties" We flew missions. Fighters flew sorties.

You, fighters and everyone else flew missions that involved a certain number
of
sorties, effective and ineffective,

Missions that involved sorties???? What does that mean?. I flew all missions.
No sorties

because you need to know how many a/c flew on each mission for the
number to mean an

We flew 56 Marauders on every mission. Max effort every time.

The
figures I gave above are presumably either effective sorties (those assessed
as
having dropped bombs), or at least those that were officially counted (i.e.
you'd
crossed the enemy/occupied coast or whatever the criteria was in the
particular
theater/timeframe).

Yeah, that was a bad habbit of ours. We always crossed into enemy territorry
and dumped 4,000 pounds of bombs all over them. We called these missions. Not
sorties

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at: